Wednesday, April 15, 2015

My First Time!

My first acupuncture experience and why I will be going back next week
I've been itching to try acupuncture again for years, especially because others with multiple sclerosis have touted it as extremely helpful.  Thanks to a reader's suggestion, I made an appointment with a local acupuncturist to meet with Dr. Z.
The unknown makes me nervous.  My first time in a new yoga studio, or doctor's office or even with a new friend can cause anxiety.  I've gotten much better over the years since I learned yoga breathing, but honestly I was nervous about my first acupuncture experience.
I arrived on time and was greeted by Dr. Z a Master Herbalist and the Office Manager, Monica. I filled out a very detailed questionnaire asking everything from family history, previous procedures, to how often I poop, how well I sleep and how often I sweat.
Dr. Z led me back to the simple carpeted room with a bed and chair.  He explained to me about Chinese medicine (although he is from Russia) and the way the Yin and Yang can balance our bodies and energy points.
I then took off my shoes and socks and laid on the table.  Dr. Z checked out my tongue and pulse and then inserted 11 needles in my feet, arms, belly and head.  Then to my surprise he covered me with a blanket and told me to rest for 25 minutes.  I thought about how tired I was just a few hours earlier when my alarm went off, but suddenly felt wide awake.  I focused on my yoga breathing and thought about how easily I let go during savasana. But, at that moment on the table it was hard to Zen out with needles in my body.
acupuncture

Eventually Dr. Z returned and removed the needles and I was done.  He emphasized the importance of coming weekly or bi-weekly, specifically for someone like me with an autoimmune disease.  I made an appointment for next week and look forward to going back now that I know what to expect.
Have you tried acupuncture?  Do you go regularly?  Do you notice benefits? 
By Yoga Mom, today at 10:47 am

No comments:

Post a Comment